Operation Blue Ridge Thunder investigators met Thomas Jenkins in autumn of 1998. A resident of Blacksburg, VA, Mr. Jenkins used the Internet for the business of trading child pornography. He was a major trader that was motivated by pleasure. He negotiated with undercover officers online to purchase and trade child porn, set up a meeting for a face-to-face deal, then was arrested.
The average teenager is online an average of 5.5 hours a day. Being online is not just surfing the web going into different web sites. Most children and teens are drawn to chat rooms, instant messaging and email. According to the FBI, there is a “100 percent chance” kids will encounter a sexual predator in one of the 40,000-plus chat rooms that criminals visit.
Chat rooms are the new “party lines” of the past. Remember coming home from school and calling your friends to discuss the day? Well, now kids are getting online, chatting about their day with strangers from all over the country, all over the world. Usually they are offering bits and pieces of personal information, which is being collected by a predator who is carefully, over time, building a ‘file’ on a completely innocent, non-suspecting child. In fact, 75 percent of children and teens report sharing personal information about them and their families to complete strangers in chat rooms.
It’s all terribly frightening.
Children and teens are increasingly using the Internet – for finding information for school projects, for games and entertainment, and for communicating with friends. Unfortunately, as more and more children use the Internet, it’s also used in increasingly cunning ways by criminals to abduct and exploit those children.
The only way to ensure the safety of the millions of children who use the Internet each day is through education – becoming informed about the problem and learning ways to keep children free from harm.
The term “Internet Predator” sounds scary and mysterious. This is simply a new title for the pedophile.
The average pedophile is not the trench-coat stranger lurking in the shadows at the neighborhood park. The prevalence of pedophiles within professions where children are involved is much greater than ever expected and proves its own point. Case after case it is seen that the pedophile is someone who:
- Blends into society
- Garners respect as a professional
- Is clean cut and outwardly law abiding (though there are some exceptions)
- Is most likely male (usually white, middle aged though we are seeing younger men)
- Uses his position in society as a way to throw suspicion off his actions and in fact, can rise to become a pillar of society while actively pursuing his deviant fantasy.
- Very often involved in extra-curricular activities or daycare of children.
The average child molester is not a stereotypical “dirty old man” and can be:
- A teacher at the local elementary school
- Swim coach
- Sunday school teacher
- The concerned neighbor
- A clergyman
- People you trust with your child every day
What Does the Pedophile Want?
1. It is the sexual preference and deviant desire of a pedophile to have illicit relations with a child.
2. This is a compulsive behavior; something this individual is driven to do and is therefore focused mainly on how to satisfy the daily desire.
3. Pedophiles prey on young boys and girls up to the age of 16, their preference being pre-pubescent children 9 to 13 years old, however this does not exclude older or younger children. (Note: 13-year old white females are the #1 preyed upon victim.
4. They use every means possible to communicate with their potential victims and that now includes the global and anonymous internet.
5. Pedophiles lurk in real-time chat rooms for teens and pre-teens that are accessible from computers that have internet capabilities and browser software.
6. Access to these forums, chat rooms and email are available at any library in the U.S. as well as schools and universities. Although initial contact is usually made at home, once a relationship is established contact can take place at any internet-capable computer.
SPECIAL NOTE: The sexual compulsion of a pedophile is so strong, the pedophile will go to almost any length including extravagant plans that involve time, travel, and expense to arrange and meet with a child.
So, why do they use the internet to find their victims?
Anonymity is the key. The internet provides the perfect camouflage. A seasoned pedophile can easily blend into a chat room with specific targets in mind. His knowledge of certain teenage subjects is as accurate as his practiced way of chatting the teen chat.
A Georgia man was charged with child pornography last week, after his home was searched and only 55 of his hundreds of pictures were turned in.
Earl Edwin Ross, 41,was charged with possession of material depicting minors engaged in sexually explicit conduct.
“There were pictures of boys and girls from six months to 12 to 13 years old engaged in sexually explicit conduct,” McCullough said in the News and Sentinel Article. “There were more than 55 pictures from all across the world.”
After the pictures were forwarded tot he National Center for Missing and Exploited Children, they were able to match hundreds of kids to their files.
“Some of them would be adults now,” she said. “But the photos are still generated.”
We have compiled some online kids games that your little ones will love!
Now you can send your kids to games online that they will love. But what about the games that mom and dad will love? We have a list of those too!
Now that you have a list of the best online kids games, don’t forget to educate yourself on internet safety:
Looking for free little kids games to play online? There are plenty of safe, fun games that kids can play on the internet.
Some of the most popular little kids games are:
Yahoo Kids: Yahoo has a website just for kids with games, music, movies, sports, ecards, and it even has a place for Parents – and a StudyZone! Check out the cool stuff at Yahoo Kids Games Online >
KidsCom: KidsCom is an internet experience JUST for kids! Not only does it have lesson plans for teachers and a spot for Parents, but it has safe internet chat and little kids games to play online! Check out this kids’ virtual world at KidsCom.com >
Gamehouse: Gamehouse has a TON of free and safe “fun for everyone.” It is equipped with games, puzzles, hidden treasures and even some downloadable games. Check out free and safe little kids games to play on – and off – line at Gamehouse >
JumpStart: JumpStart offers a 3D virtual world for kids. The USA Today calls it “a masterpiece of children’s technology.” Check out your little kids world at JumpStart >
The hung for free little kids games to play online is over! Please leave your favorite kids games website in the comments!
SafeSurfin.org has a new website! Check out some of the key features like “Report a Crime” and Order CDs!