- There are an estimated 77 million kids online today.
- There are more than 40,000 chat rooms where children can meet child predators.
- Pedophiles lure kids in with games, establish relationships with them on-line, then arrange to meet face-to-face.
- 75 percent of children are willing to share personal information online about themselves and their family in exchange for goods and/or services. (gifts, free samples, free online games, etc.)
- Chat rooms and instant/private messages are two main tools pedophiles use to contact children on-line.
- Online child pornography/child sex exploitation is the most significant crime problem confronting the FBI that involves crimes against children.
- There is a 100% chance of a child meeting a predator in a chat room. (FBI 2002)
Children are reported missing into the FBI computer program system at the rate of:
- 825,600 kids per year
- 68,800 kids per month
- 16,100 kids per week
- 2,300 kids per day
- 96 kids per hour
- 3 kids every 2 minutes
*Statistics provided by the Crimes Against Children Research Center 1/2003