If you or your children use the internet, use these internet safety tips to teach your family how to stay safe online.
1. Chat rooms aren’t really safe. Anyone can join a chat room and see what you are typing.
2. People aren’t who they say they are. There is an alarming number of predators that use chat rooms on the internet and pretend to be someone they are not.
3. Never, ever arrange meetings with strangers. They probably aren’t who they say they are.
4. You can’t always hide personal information. Checkout this video of a real girl who could not hide her identity >
Go to wired safety to find out basic safety tips of online chat rooms and more internet safety tips.
Internet Safety Tips using Facebook
1. Be careful about who you add as friends. Only add people you know well enough that you are comfortable with them reading everything you have written, or seeing all of your pictures.
2. Don’t allow your children to use Facebook. Only allow grown teens to use it, and then monitor it very carefully.
3. Don’t post your address or other personal information about yourself.
4. Check your settings and make your Facebook page private.
Education is Key to Internet Safety
If you want your kids and family to be safe on the internet, make sure to take our internet safety pledge, and do regular discussions about being safe on the internet.
The more you monitor and stay in discussion about internet safety, the less likely you will be to face danger. Read more internet safety tips and keep your kids safe through education.