The term “Internet Predator” sounds scary and mysterious. This is simply a new title for the pedophile.
The average pedophile is not the trench-coat stranger lurking in the shadows at the neighborhood park. The prevalence of pedophiles within professions where children are involved is much greater than ever expected and proves its own point. Case after case it is seen that the pedophile is someone who:
- Blends into society
- Garners respect as a professional
- Is clean cut and outwardly law abiding (though there are some exceptions)
- Is most likely male (usually white, middle aged though we are seeing younger men)
- Uses his position in society as a way to throw suspicion off his actions and in fact, can rise to become a pillar of society while actively pursuing his deviant fantasy.
- Very often involved in extra-curricular activities or daycare of children.
The average child molester is not a stereotypical “dirty old man” and can be:
- A teacher at the local elementary school
- Swim coach
- Sunday school teacher
- The concerned neighbor
- A clergyman
- People you trust with your child every day
What Does the Pedophile Want?
1. It is the sexual preference and deviant desire of a pedophile to have illicit relations with a child.
2. This is a compulsive behavior; something this individual is driven to do and is therefore focused mainly on how to satisfy the daily desire.
3. Pedophiles prey on young boys and girls up to the age of 16, their preference being pre-pubescent children 9 to 13 years old, however this does not exclude older or younger children. (Note: 13-year old white females are the #1 preyed upon victim.
4. They use every means possible to communicate with their potential victims and that now includes the global and anonymous internet.
5. Pedophiles lurk in real-time chat rooms for teens and pre-teens that are accessible from computers that have internet capabilities and browser software.
6. Access to these forums, chat rooms and email are available at any library in the U.S. as well as schools and universities. Although initial contact is usually made at home, once a relationship is established contact can take place at any internet-capable computer.
SPECIAL NOTE: The sexual compulsion of a pedophile is so strong, the pedophile will go to almost any length including extravagant plans that involve time, travel, and expense to arrange and meet with a child.
So, why do they use the internet to find their victims?
Anonymity is the key. The internet provides the perfect camouflage. A seasoned pedophile can easily blend into a chat room with specific targets in mind. His knowledge of certain teenage subjects is as accurate as his practiced way of chatting the teen chat.